Saturday, October 13
12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
The Museum Council invites you to come out Saturday, October 13, to explore the history, art and beautiful sites of Historic Germantown during the Historic Germantown Second Saturday. Located in the Northwestern part of Philadelphia, Historic Germantown is a partnership of 16 historic homes and museums. Most are located along a 2-mile stretch of Germantown Ave. Second Saturday runs from 12:00 to 4:00 PM.
Special Tour for Museum Council Members and Guests
At 2:00 pm, Council Members can gather at Wyck for at 45-minute tour of the house and gardens. The tour will be led by Tess Frydman, Director of Interpretation and Public Outreach. Registration for the tour is $5. Register here.
This is a rare opportunity to experience these sites with museum peers:
- At Awbury, tour the 55-acre arboretum, nestled within the Germantown neighborhood and enjoy the festivities of their Harvest Fest.
- Tour Cliveden, where seven generations of one family once lived and surrounding grounds where the Battle of Germantown was fought.
- Visit the Concord Schoolhouse, and learn how Philadelphians studied in 18th-century schoolroom—the oldest surviving today.
- Tour George Washington’s summer home and learn about his household, including his enslaved servants. Or the Johnson house, an
- Underground Railroad Station, and Historic Fairhill, a 300-year-old cemetery and resting place for abolitionists and reformers.
- At Grumblethorpe, tour an organic garden, tended by local students. Then learn about the house’s claim to Revolutionary War history (and see the blood stain that remains).
- At the LaSalle Art Museum, see a selection of artwork picked by LaSalle faculty—a rare opportunity to see many pieces from their permanent collection.
Admission & Visit Info
Many of the sites offer free admission, others have a nominal fee. For a complete list of sites and costs, check out the Historic Germantown website.
Free sites include:
- Awbury Arboretum
- Deshler Morris House – Germantown White House
- Historic Fair Hill
- La Salle University Art Museum
- Wyck House and Garden ($5 for special Museum Council Tour at 2:00 pm)
Sites with small fee or suggested donation:
- ACES Museum (donations encouraged)
- Cliveden ($10 adults; $8 students)
- Concord School House and Upper Burying Ground ($5)
- Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion ($8)
- Germantown Historical Society ($3)
- Germantown Mennonite Historic Trust (donations suggested)
- Grumblethorpe ($8)
- Historic Rittenhousetown ($5)
- Hood Cemetery ($3)
- Johnson House ($8)
- Stenton ($5)